Join us at our early learning, eco-friendly children’s village and help us build big, bright futures for our children.
The Food Water Shelter Society is a not-for-profit, non-denominational, non-government organisation that has built and manages an eco-friendly orphanage with educational and social facilities for children in Tanzania. The values of the Food Water Shelter Society, relevant to this position, include:
- Every child has the right to have his/her basic physiological needs of food, water and shelter met.
- Every child has the right to have his/her psychological needs met.
- Every child has the right to an education that allows for freedom of thought and expression of creativity.
- It takes a village to raise a child.
For more information about the Food Water Shelter Society please visit our website at fws.
The Food Water Shelter Society is recruiting a Caretaker for placement at the Kesho Leo Children’s Village located in Sinon, Arusha, Tanzania.
Caretaker (one position)
The Caretaker reports to the Residential and Health Manager.
The Caretaker responsibilities include:
- Taking care of all the needs of up to eight children.
- Living at the Kesho Leo Children’s Village and sharing accommodation with the children in her care.
- Working with the Residential and Health Manager to ensure the children’s well-being and the maintenance of the facilities and surroundings of the Children’s Village.
- Maintaining all aspects of a home environment for the children, ensuring their care as well as looking after herself.
- Maintaining the immediate external surroundings of her accommodation facilities and the wash and toilet areas allocated for her and the children’s use.
- Planning, budgeting for and preparing nutritional meals for the children in a timely manner.
- Ensuring the cleanliness of the accommodation she shares with the children and washing the children’s clothes.
- Taking care of the children’s health (including taking them to doctors/ hospital as required) in consultation with the Residential and Health Manager.
- Supervising, assisting and encouraging children’s school work and working with the Education Manager on all aspects of the children’s educational needs.
- Supporting the chekechea teachers as directed by the Education Manager.
- Actively participating in weekly meetings led by the Social Welfare Manager and any other meetings as required.
- Working with the Social Welfare Manager on counselling the children and on their behaviour.
The successful applicant will:
- be a woman
- have at least a certificate/diploma in one or more of the following or related fields: sociology, social work, community development and/or early child development
- have experience working with children
- be able to speak and write fluently in English and Kiswahili
- be a person who loves working with children and enhancing their experiences and opportunities
- be available to live at Kesho Leo Children’s Village (in accordance with the regulations of the Department of Social Welfare, the successful applicant will not be able to bring any of her own children with her to live in the Village)
- be ready to start working with us no later than April 2016.
Applications must be written in English. Applications not written in English will not be considered.
If you think you are the right person for this job, we encourage you to send your application. Your application must contain:
- a statement addressing each of the selection criteria above, telling us how your competencies and experience make you suitable for this position
- an updated copy of your curriculum vitae (CV), including your contact details
- the names and contact details of three referees who can comment on your performance and character
- copy of your academic records and academic certificates/qualifications.
For more information or interest in the position, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send your application to email. The deadline for receiving the application is Friday 18th March – 5:00 pm. Applications received after this time and date will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview. Thank you for applying to work at Food Water Shelter.